about

Sometime in the early to mid-80s, a group of around 4 or 5 individuals, led by Pete Kogut, were actively involved in racing a Norton Commando called the Yellow Peril in and around New Hampshire. This eventually led to the formation of the Northern New England Norton Owners, who held occasional meetings in the area.

styling since 1898

fast, fun

Explore the reasons behind joining the New England Norton Owners Group. Discover the camaraderie, shared passion, and unparalleled knowledge exchange among members. Unleash the true essence of riding and immerse yourself in a community that embodies the spirit of Norton ownership. Join us today and embark on an extraordinary journey together.

swap parts

The is a dedicated community for enthusiasts to exchange motorcycle parts and foster a sense of camaraderie.

swap stories

This group serves as a platform for storytelling and upholding the cherished Norton tradition. Together, we share stories that inspire, connect, and perpetuate the legacy.


our mission

dedication to an iconic brand

The New England Norton Owners’ mission is to promote the use and pride of Norton motorcycle ownership, and to provide an arena for the exchange of technical information and parts availability in an effort to extend the useful life of Norton Motorcycles.

Our Leadership

Our Staff

passing along the norton legacy to a new generation.

150

norton bikes among members

24+

average years owned

A brief history

How did Norton get here?

Norton Models Time Line:  An Incomplete History

Norton Motorcycles was established in 1898 by James Lansdowne Norton ( AKA “Pa Norton” ) in Birmingham, England. The company initially began as a manufacturer of fittings and parts for the two-wheel trade, but quickly diversified into producing motorcycles.

The first Norton motorcycle, the Energette, was introduced—powered by a 143cc single-cylinder Clement engine which served as the foundation for future models.

Norton made its mark in the racing world by winning the twin-cylinder class in the inaugural Isle of Man TT race. This success helped to establish Norton’s reputation as a producer of high-performance motorcycles. The rider was Rem Fowler, and the motorcycle sported a 5 hp Peugeot engine.

Pre-War Bikes

The legendary side valve 634 cc engine Big 4 was introduced. It was later produced in a 490 cc version, and both were heavily used in Britain’

Norton motorcycles are available for purchase by the general public, at such stores as Harrods.

The now famous Norton logo, designed by “Pa” and his daughter Ethel, first appeared on the cover of the Norton catalog.

The logo began appearing on every Norton’s gas tank, and on every one built thereafter, including today’s .

The Model 18 is introduced. It sported a new overhead valve engine, as opposed to the earlier side valve motors. With the fitting of racing components, hotter cam and piston, and bigger Amal carburetor, the stock 21 bhp was increased to the point that some racers came very close to 100 mph on the bike. It’s reliability soon earned it a good reputation, and it took 1st place in both the 1924 and 1926 in the Isle of Mann Senior TT races.

Norton’s 1st overhead cam powered motorcycle, the CS1 (Camshaft Senior 1) model was introduced in 1927. It was designed by Walter Moore, and displaced 490 cc.  The CS1 was the standard for racing Nortons for the next 20 years.

Also saw the introduction of the ES2, with a single cylinder overhead valve engine of 500 cc displacement. The first Norton to get the new “Saddle-Type” gas tank, as opposed to the earlier “Flat-Tank” models. Continued in production until 1965.

The Norton International ( often referred to as the “Cammy Norton” due to it’s overhead cam [OHC] design) is introduced to the market. The bike won many Isle of Mann TT races on the 1930’s often resulting in 1 – 2 – 3 place finishes. They were available in the Model 30 ( 490cc ) and Model 40  ( 350cc ) versions. An overhead valve Model 50 ( 350cc ) could also be had. The OHC bikes remain popular for racers even today, and in fact brand new high quality reproductions are available for those with deep pockets.

Post-War Bikes

The overhead cam engines were redesigned, fitted with twin overhead cams.

Production of the Norton Manx  is completed. It lasted until 1957.  This model was so successful on the race track that brand new reproductions of it can still be purchased. A single cylinder overhead cam engine designed by Arthur Carroll it used the  79mm x 100mm bore and stroke ( 490 cc ) as the earlier CS1, although the Model 30 International was an all new design. Also available as the Model 40 with a 350 cc engine.    These factory bikes also many Isle of Man TT races during the 1930s, many of them 1-2-3 results as well.

The Model 7,  Norton’s first vertical twin engine bike, designed by Bert Hopwood enters production.  Also known as the “Dominator”, the bike’s engine displaced 497cc, and many ES2 cycle parts were utilized (frame, roadholder forks, etc…) . It produced 29 BHP at 6,000 RPM.  It continued to use the “Garden-Gate” or Wide-Line” frame through the end of it’s production , as the “Featherbed” frame was deemed unsuitable for side-car use. Produced 1949 thru 1956.

The legendary “Featherbed” frame is introduced.

 The Model 88 Dominator is introduced. A Model 7 engine in a Featherbed frame.

The “International” models received the “Featherbed” frame, complete with new ‘swinging arm” that replaced the “plunger suspension”.

The Model 99 Dominator is introduced. Engine size increased from the Model 88 up from 497cc to 600cc.

The Jubilee model is introduced. Made from 1958 to 1966 it was named to commemorate Norton’s Diamond Jubilee. The 249 cc Jubilee was a break with Norton tradition designed in response to UK legislation introduced in 1960 limiting learner riders to motorcycles of under 250 cc. It had the smallest engine ever made by Norton, and was the first Norton with a unit construction engine and gearbox.

The Navigator model is introduced. Basically a Jubilee model with engine increased to 349cc . Was recorded at speeds up to 101 MPH with only minor carburetor modification.  Produced until 1966, coinciding with parent company “Associated Motor Cycles  [ AMC ]” collapse.

The Norton Manxman model is introduced. The 650cc engine was a Dominator 99  engine increased in size from 600cc .    The combination of slim-line featherbed frame and Roadholder forks used on the Dominators was carried forward to the Manxman. Alloy hubs containing 8 in (200 mm) front and 7 in (180 mm) rear drum brakes were fitted.  The bike was finished in polychromatic blue with a red seat with white piping.

The 650 SS model hits the market. Originally produced for export only, and sold as the “Manxman”. A Euroopean styled version came out in 1962, and was sold as the 650 SS.  The 650 cc engine produced 52 BHP and propelled the 650 SS past the 120 MPH mark.

The Norton Atlas appears, along with it’s variants, the G15, the N15, the Ranger, and the P-11. These bikes utilized the Atlas engine, which was Bert Hopwood’s Model 7 497cc now punched out to 745 cc, and various Matchless frames. It was discontinued in 1968 with the advent of the Norton Commando.

Electra ES400 is produced. Basically a Navigator with larger motor, and Norton’s first electric start mechanism. Like the Navigator, production ceased in 1965 with the collapse of AMC.

Super-bike era

Norton Commando Fastback debuts.  Called simply the Commando until 1969 it was the first Norton to utilize the all-new “Isolastic” frame, which isolated the engine in three rubber-bushed mounts, which in theory would “isolate” the engine vibration from the rider. The term “Super-bike” was coined in 1969 to describe the Commando in the British motorcycling press.   In the United Kingdom it won the Motor Cycle News “Machine of the Year” award for five successive years from 1968 to 1972.

The Commando Roadster hits the market . Produced in 750cc from 1968 until 1973, and then 850cc from 1973 until the end of production in 1975 (or ’76 or ’77 depending upon who you ask).  Basically a Fastback with improved bracing in the frame headstock area, and bodywork that was thought to appeal to the American market.

The Commando Interpol enters the market. Manufactured for police use, it was fitted with a radio, fairing, police lights, panniers and used a 750cc engine. Production ceased in 1976.

The Norton Hi=Rider stumbles into being. Looking like a bike viewed thru a bad acid trip, the Hi-Rider sported a sissy bar, a King and Queen seat (actually NO room for the Queen ), a tiny fuel tank, and high handlebars. Again, a Roadster with different bodywork.

The Commando Interstate appears, same as above, a Roadster with different bodywork, noticeably the 5.2 gallon fuel tank. The seat is shorter front to back to allow for the big tank. As the Roadster, was 750 cc up into 1973, then 850 cc from 1973 – 1975.

The Commando “John Player Special” edition of 200 units is introduced. Made to offer the looks if not the performance of the race bikes designed and produced by the late, great Peter Williams, who also raced them for the John Player and Sons cigarette manufacturers.  They had some success with the race bikes , winning 14 international races in 1972 and 1973,. About 120 of the 200 original bikes were sent to the US.